Tuesday, February 7, 2017

"Go Placidly Amid the Noise and Haste"



Somewhere lately I saw a copy of  Desiderata. As I re-read it, I was reminded of my college days, where I first read the poem. I looked up its history and found it was first titled "Go Placidly Amid The Noise And Haste." Both titles rather entrance me. Here is my favorite quote:

"Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth....whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul."
Desiderata by Max Ehrmann





And so, I thought maybe I would share a few of my favorite quotes today on the blog. I have been reading more since the Christmas rush is through, and jotting down items that strike my fancy....







"The air smells of frost. The house is making the soft breathing sounds very old houses make at night."
Gladys Tabor


"Grammy's house is the perfect combination of technology and old-fashioned taste." 
Samuel N. Jones


"Who loves the rain, and loves his home,
And looks on life with quiet eyes.
him will I follow through the storm,
and at his hearth-fire keep me warm;
Nor hell nor heaven shall that soul surprise
who loves the rain and loves his home,
and looks on life with quiet eyes."
Frances Shaw

"If you have been afraid that your love of beautiful flowers and the flickering flame of the candle is somehow less spiritual than living in starkness, remember that He who created you to be creative gave you the things with which to make beauty and the sensitivity to appreciate and respond to His creation."
Edith Schaeffer


"Traveling is all very well if you can get home at night. I would be willing to go around the world if I came back in time to light the candles and set the table for supper."
Gladys Taber


"Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home."
Edith Sitwell


"I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says, "Go to sleep, darlings, til the summer comes again."
Lewis Carroll


"The wind was blowing, but not too hard, and everyone was so happy and gay for it was only twenty degrees below zero and the sun shone."
Laura Ingalls Wilder






















No comments: