Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I Love to Bake...especially seasonal creations...

Our ages make eating choices more limited these days, and I don't often have the excuse to indulge my love of baking. I made these Pumpkin Bars today for our Bible Study tonight...and will let others enjoy the fruits of my labors. Our daughter JoAnn has a birthday coming on Thursday, the day before Halloween, and she has always loved anything pumpkin. When she was little I always made a pumpkin shaped cake with orange frosting, but as she grew up she preferred these bars, and always asks for them. She and I are going to bake another pan of them on her birthday, to take with us to visit her eldest sister Joy in Washington this week-end. JoAnn and Joy rarely get the opportunity to share their birthdays together (Oct. 30 and Nov. 4) but this year we will spend the week-end celebrating. These are a tried and true recipe treat...so I will share the recipe here for any who would like to try it.
Pumpkin Bars


4 eggs
2 C. natural cane sugar
2 C. pureed pumpkin
2 C. flour (I use 1 C. whole wheat pastry flour and 1 C. white flour)
1/2 C. Oil
1/2 C. Applesauce (homemade is best : )
1 t. vanilla
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt

Mix all these ingredients together and spread out in a big baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. When cool, spread with the following frosting..

3 oz. cream cheese softened
1 stick of butter (1/2 C.) softened
1 t. vanilla
1 box powdered sugar
Mix together to spreading consistency and frost.

This recipe makes a lot of bars, so it's great for a family or for autumn entertaining. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Peter Jones said...

Mom-
The boys looked at your posts with me and we decided we'll have to bake up some of those too! Thanks for posting the recipe. YUM!
Julie

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to have some pumpkin bars tonight :)