Friday, September 11, 2009

Flavors of Fall...Apple Salad

Photograph by John O'Hagan, Victoria Magazine, Sept/Oct. 2009

I found this photo and it looked so good that I just had to try it out on our camping trip. I made a few modifications, but here is the general idea. This makes enough for 4 salads.

  • Slices of two cored apples (I tried two different varieties, one red and one green and both were delicious...and new apples from this years crop)
  • Chopped celery (The magazine recipe used curly lettuce or endive)
  • 1/2 C. halved red grapes
  • 1 C. Toasted pecans (I substituted Oregon hazelnuts)
  • Shavings of Asiago cheese (I substituted slivers of provolone for the cost)

Toss the apples, celery and grapes with 1/4 t. of salt and 1 t. of lemon juice. (I found I didn't need the lemon juice with fresh apples as they didn't turn brown.) Pile this mix on plates. Top with cheese and nuts. (The magazine recipe also added fresh dill on top and although that sounds good I didn't have any on hand this year.) Drizzle with dressing of choice. I used my all-time favorite 'Vermont Country Salad Dressing', and it was absolutely delicous!

For Julie, here's the recipe for the dressing:

  • 3 T. Maple Syrup
  • 1/4 C. Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 t. Dijon Mustard
  • 1/2 C. Vegetable Oil of Choice (I use Safflower)
  • 1/2 t. Salt
  • Sprinkle of freshly ground pepper
  • 1 t. minced fresh garlic or 1/4 t. garlic powder

Julie, I would double this for your family, as it goes fast! I got this recipe from Nancy and it has been my favorite ever since. Fall produce, there's nothing quite like it.


1 comment:

Peter Jones said...

*Thanks* for posting the recipe for me!! Can't wait to try it.
Julie