Thursday, August 8, 2013

Fresh Peaches

During the summer months as each fruit season begins I always think this one's the best. First strawberries, then raspberries, then the melons and then more berries etc. But right now is the peak of the peach season, and I found myself thinking "is there anything better than a ripe fresh peach?" At our local fruit stand on Saturday, a clerk offered me a just-cut slice of a fresh peach and it just melted in my mouth with it's juiciness and sweetness. Of course we had to bring some home (which was the clerk's plan) and the next morning they adorned some yeast waffles and were in turn adorned by a few dollops of whipped cream. Oh boy, I do think peach season is the best, and I'm sure they are doing their best to aid in my recovery.

2 comments:

Peter Jones said...

We've been relishing peaches this year too. More than usual. They've been a little more available. I think it must have been a good peach harvest year. I have some on my fridge that I'm trying to decide what to do with. We've been making a stove-top dessert with them called slump. It's soooo good and less work than a pie. And lots of times we have just eaten them whole as a part of our meal and it feels like such a treat. Glad you're getting to enjoy some. :)

Unknown said...

When I worked at the hospital as part of the IT department, I made the best of friends in a nice Christian man named Tim. He and I would hit the bakery part of the cafeteria every morning in peach season for these amazing muffins with fresh peach chunks just ready to melt in your mouth with that first bite. Crumb top, warm just out of the oven...... lots of drool and we decided that the peach had to be the forbidden fruit. I Love Peaches.