Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Aebleskivers

We were recently in Burns to celebrate the insurance man's father's 89th birthday. When we got up on Saturday morning my mother-in-law Bethel cheerily announced that we were having 'Aebleskivers' for breakfast. This brought out a burst of curiosity on our parts, and we learned it was a Danish treat, cooked in a special cast iron pan, shown above. Mom had made up the batter ahead, and was busy pouring each little hole full of the batter. *The batter contains: flour, salt, sugar, buttermilk, eggs, soda and butter.
We stood around and watched this interesting process.

She used a little stick (that came with the pan) to slowly turn the balls of batter as they browned on the bottom.

This resulted in balls of cooked, browned batter...

with holes in the middle, and semi-empty in the centers.


Here's our very interesting breakfast treat! I don't have any photos of us eating them, as they disappeared rapidly! She served them with jam, syrup and/or applesauce. She showed us how to break them open, put a little butter in and then the topping of your choice. My favorite turned out to be raspberry jam...yum! We all liked this novelty, and talked about how Julie's children would all think it really fun to have 'balls' for breakfast!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love Aebleskivers. First made for me by the Gribskov family and those wonderful Danish cooks, Maren and Vol and Shirley. I am drooling after seeing them again. Have never tried to make them myself because they wouldn't taste the same.

Thanks for the post Jennie.

Kathy

Peter Jones said...

I've never heard of them! How fun! I wonder where Grandma got the idea? Interesting.
:)
Julie