Saturday, July 3, 2010

The comfort of flowers

Comfort #3 (in no particular order of relevance) for me today is flowers. Anyone who has read this blog for any length of time knows how much I love flowers. All things floral are a great blessing and comfort to me. I live where it is difficult to grow blooming things, and yet have worked diligently to create a garden oasis here on the High Desert, with very modest success. Still, it is an oasis for me in so many ways. God has placed me here, and I have borrowed the maxim "bloom where you are planted". Along with cutting and enjoying the flowers my yard does yield, inside our home, I have a few really nice vases to put them in. Another blessing...inheriting older, beautiful belongings. The last of the items on my list to share of the things I inherited from my Mom's Aunt Minnie, were several vases. I always bring out the one above in spring, to enjoy the first blooms of the season.
This vase is taller and with a beautiful neutral cream color and classic shape is always a wonderful receptacle for my larger branches and flowers.

In winter I keep some dry or silk flowers in a vase on my dining room table. We have long winters here, and the price of fresh flowers keeps me using the same silk ones from year to year. But isn't it wonderful that they have perfected the art of imitating real flowers so well?

This is the same vase, but it's hard to see through the flowers and leaves. I can put quite a large bouquet in it, and the green color goes with most any flower color. I love to grow, pick and arrange flowers, leaves, branches, berries and stems according to what's available in the yard. I just wish they would last a little longer!
This year spring just didn't exist. We have not really left behind winter totally. Yesterday was only in the high 50's, and I had to turn on the heat in the house, as well as cover some of the garden from frost. This on July 2nd! Needless to say, my flowers and plants have not been up to even our usual standard. However, there is a lot of green out there due to the high amount of rain and drizzle, and even green is prized in our high desert environment. There are just enough flowers peeking through the green to satisfy my cravings, and I am thankful.

No comments: