Sunday, August 28, 2011

Early Sabbath Morning

"O Lord,


I commune with thee every day,


but week days are worldly days,


and secular concerns reduce heavenly impressions.


I bless thee therefore for the day sacred to my soul


when I can wait upon thee and be refreshed;


I thank thee for the institutions of church


by use of which I draw near to thee and thou to me;
I rejoice in another Lord's Day


when I call off my mind from the cares of the world


and attend upon thee without distraction;


Let my rest be devout,


my conversation edifying,


my reading pious,


my hearing profitable,


that my soul may be quickened and elevated.




I am going to the house of prayer,


pour upon me the spirit of grace and supplication;


I am going to the house of praise,


awaken in my every grateful and cheerful emotion;


I am going to the house of instruction,


give testimony to the Word preached,


and glorify it in the hearts of all who hear;




may it:


enlighten the ignorant,


awaken the careless,


reclaim the wandering,


establish the weak,


comfort the feeble-minded,


make ready a people for their Lord.




Be a sanctuary to all who cannot come,


And do thou bestow upon me:


forgiveness towards my enemies,


peaceableness towards my neighbors,


openness towards my fellow-believers."




From: Book of Puritan Prayers


No comments: