Friday, March 9, 2012

Eating Changes



We have been trying to change a few things in our diet, and are striving for moderation and a little weight loss. To get things kick-started, I am trying a few vegetarian meals this week. Our ultimate goal is not to go vegan, but to cut back on our consumption of animal products. But for these two weeks, I am trying out a few new dishes. I have long done stir-frys, but this week I did a totally vegetarian one. It was colorful, as you can see. There is onion, broccoli, red bell pepper, carrots, celery, and bok choy in there. I made a sauce with a base of pure fruit apricot jam and cashew nut butter, with some balsamic vinegar and spices thrown in. I sprinkled some spanish peanuts on top, and some raw sesame seeds and then served the whole thing over shredded romaine lettuce instead of brown rice. It was delicious, and truly satisfied me. The insurance man missed his meat however. He is being a good sport about it all, and is willing to try these dishes out. Hopefully we'll find a few favorites. I tried an Eggplant Parmesan that was REALLY good, and as it was my first try with eggplant, I was really pleased. I am ready to try growing it in my garden this year. Last night we had mini-whole wheat pizzas, with roasted roma tomatoes & garlic, and red onion cooked with spinach and red bell pepper for the toppings. Today it is a Chard Vegetable Medley topped with roasted pine nuts. I think I am enjoying exploring a new world!

No comments: