Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Last days of Winter or first days of Spring?


"Blow, blow, how the wind doth blow". This fragment from a half-remembered childrens' poem flits through my thoughts, as a big gust reddens my cheeks and blows my hair into my eyes. I return to my raking, the pine needles beginning to make a sizable pile. The wind is at least warm, and the sun feels so good on my shoulders. I look around and see that about one-half of the yard is still under the icy remnants of our last snow storm. But the other half is greening up nicely, and there are little patches of blooming crocus glowing under the sparkling green of the tall pine trees. The air smells so good, and it feels wonderful to exhale the staleness of inside air and breathe in all this freshness. The wind gusts tease my hair and flatten my ears as I rake.
I notice a few other neighbors are out too, taking advantage of this early good weather. Of course, true to Central Oregon weather, more snow is predicted to be on it's way tonight. But now, right now, my garden work has begun for the new season, and I mark the moment with pleasure. I don't care that my newly cleaned out strawberry patch will again be snow covered and facing winter temperatures. The little plants might shiver, but they will also kick up their heels at the additional moisture seeping down around their roots. That's how March is supposed to be....two days of winter and one day of Spring, on and on in a circle of nature until Spring finally wins the game. And as for the wind...March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb, or at least it's supposed to. And in the wise words of Winnie the Pooh, "who doesn't like a blustery day?"

*Addition: Today (Tuesday) Old Man Winter has again claimed victory. It's been snowing off and on all day, and the high is supposed to be around 34 degrees. I'm so glad I enjoyed yesterday!

No comments: