Saturday, June 23, 2012

Oh, to be in June in strawberry season....

 This is truly one of the best times of year. We are so blessed to live in a state that has the best strawberries around, wonderfully sweet Pacific Northwest strawberries. With just a little sugar and butter....oh what wonders a cook can come up with!

The first of course is Strawberry Shortcake. When I was growing up, my Aunt Joyce who had strawberry fields all around, started the tradition of celebrating strawberry season by having strawberry shortcake for dinner one evening....just a big bowl of shortcake with nothing else. We all looked forward to that every year, especially after picking strawberries all day. I continued the tradition after getting married, and now my daughter Joy does as well. Since the strawberries are a bit later than usual, due to a rainy season, we had our strawberry shortcake dinner this past week, along with some rhododendrons and peonies from the garden. I prefer homemade biscuit type shortcake, how about you?  YUM!

 Next, I made a couple of rhubarb-strawberry pies for a supper club we attended, with the rhubarb from my garden but not the strawberries. We have a patch, but they are just now putting on the berries, and they are still green. That way we stretch the season out just a bit...by having our own after the valley berries are gone.

And finally this morning we had strawberry crepes for breakfast, a great way to start out the week-end. Oh what joy during the season of strawberries!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am drooling all over myself. Yum.

Monica said...

You have now made me so hungry for strawberry shortcake I'm not exactly sure what to do. I agree with you, I prefer the biscuit types of shortcake, they are the best! And most of all, thank you for your very kind words over on my blog about my father-in-law passing on. It's been very difficult, but I know that time heals all wounds. Have a happy day.