Monday, November 5, 2012

A recipe for all the overflow garden tomatoes...



 
 This year I had lots of garden grown Roma tomatoes, way more than we could eat. I wanted to be a little creative, instead of canning them all, so I decided to roast some after watching it done by the Barefoot Contessa on the Food Network. First you halve the tomatoes, then scoop out the seeds with your thumb, and finally layer them on baking pans.

 
 Next you sprinkle the tomatoes with olive oil, minced garlic, a little balsamic vinegar, 1 T sugar, coarse salt and ground pepper. Very easy to do. Then finally roast them at 450 degrees for 25-30 minutes. At the end I usually add some chopped fresh basil, before using or serving these. (Basil doesn't roast well at high temps) This really makes your kitchen smell wonderful!

I have used these for toppings on home-made pizza and they are wonderful. I have also chopped them into quarters and added them to a pasta dish with creamy sauce. They flavor the sauce and pasta so beautifully, naturally. They can also be served as an appetizer, but they are rather juicy/messy. I froze a bag for later use, and am looking forward to trying out other uses.

1 comment:

Peter Jones said...

Wow! Those look amazing. Thanks for sharing!