Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Honoring People of Faith

I want to pause today in my sharing of photos from our trip, to honor two believers that lived well, fought a good fight, and have now obtained the prize awaiting them in glory.
"Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him. I will set him on high, because he hath known my name. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him. With long life will I satisfy him, and show him my salvation." Psalm 91:14-16
 
 Upon returning home, we learned of the death of George Beverly Shea. Being a musical family, we have always enjoyed the music of Bev Shea, his rich deep baritone, and his simple messages. He reached hundreds of thousands of people and touched lives with his gifting. His is a voice we will miss in our world of noise.
 This is exactly as I remember him, growing up in Seattle and as a newly married young woman. Watching televised crusades and church services, he would always be the gentleman, and always clear and heart felt about his faith and his God. What a good long life God blessed him with. You can click on this link to hear him sing: George Beverly Shea sings I'd Rather Have Jesus in 1965


 And secondly, I want to give a moment to remembering the life of Edith Schaeffer. Her life, her writings, and her service impacted a generation of believing women to do better, to live strongly and obediently. I have enjoyed her books, but they touched me most because her life backed up the truth of what she wrote. She especially taught me about the importance of beauty in our lives, and in passing that gift on to our families. I met her once at a book signing, and she took the time to draw a simple scene of the alps, birds and clouds on the flyleaf, before signing a simple personal message. That has always impressed me deeply. No matter the circumstance, we have time to touch others with the beauty of God's creations. Her unwavering devotion to raising her children, and being the helpmate for her husband Francis in his work was a true model for all of us. Again, God blessed her with a wonderfully long life.


Thank you to the people who rise above, and shine with the glory of God as they serve Him. In every generation there are heroes of the faith, and we do well to remember.

2 comments:

Peter Jones said...

So cool, Mom!! I loved this post. Great words and great to remember their lives and faith. Cool.

Unknown said...

And I can only say AMEN to that. I Sometimes long for the peacefulness of heaven and the worship there with these two folks and so many others like them. Thank you Jennie.
Kathy