Saturday, March 14, 2009

My favorite cookbooks

Currently, these are my favorite cookbooks. I'm very partial to these four and have them singled out on my shelf and the rest are in a drawer. Actually, I just got Joy of Cooking for my birthday and have only made one recipe from it so far. I've heard really good things about it though and am excited to discover its treasures! If you've seen the recipes I've shared on here, then you already know that I like these books. Hot Providence is out of print. I don't know if it will be re-printed or not. It's a church cookbook from Christ Church in Moscow, Idaho. My husband got it for me and we have truly found some favorite recipes in there. I'm currently in a phase of trying a lot of new things. My taste and interest in cooking has changed a lot over the course of my marriage. I now love, love to try new and interesting ingredients and gourmet methods of cooking. There's so much fun variety in food! With six small children, I don't have a lot of time to devote to creative expression. I try to find ways to be creative in the tasks I already have to do, like meal preparation. This book took me a while to get into. Lately, it has been a staple. It has become highly favored and is now highly recommended by me. Since my family is so large, I love the large quantities that the recipes are designed for. I love that the emphasis is on simplicity, but not sacrificing quality. The author put a lot of time into doing this book well. She includes a number of fancier recipes such as the stuffed pork loin pictured on the cover, which I have yet to try. I've done a lot more of her "homestyle" recipes. Last night I made some homemade macaroni and cheese from this and we are anticipating tasting it tonight as a part of our Sabbath feast. It has a little dijon mustard and some parmesan in the sauce and it looked like it was going to be fabulous! Can't wait to try it.



No comments: