Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rag Quilting

One of the things I can do now (while sitting) is sew. So I took up a project that I started a couple of years ago, and that is a rag quilt for JoAnn. She picked out the fabrics, helped me cut squares and I agreed to sew it up. This type of quilting is much easier than the traditional. There are two sized squares in the photo above, one large size in 5 different colors, and 4 smaller sewn together to make a square the same size as the large. In the stacks above I have sewn the squares together back to back with a light batting in between. They are now ready to sew together.
Here is the top of the quilt, strange looking I know. Yesterday JoAnn laid out all the squares then piled them up for me to sew together. I got 2 out of 11 rows done today. You sew the squares together with a large 1 " seam, and when sewn together you clip all these seams. After washing (in a commercial washing machine) these seams all fray out and make a pleasing fuzzy effect between the squares. One nice thing is that the quilt does not have to be bound as you fray out the sides as well.
Here are the two rows I finished today, front side up. There is going to be a lot of clipping, but I have lots of time to do that! JoAnn picked a large throw blanket size to make. I like her choice of colors...country red and red plaid, oatmeal, navy and white.
Here is the back of the two rows...looking like the front right now. It is nice not to have to worry about a backing, it just makes it as you go. I will post a picture of the finished project when we get it done. For now it's nice to get back to a project I started a long while ago.

2 comments:

Peter Jones said...

Thanks! That's very cool and interesting. I love to see what other people are working on. It's inspiring and always makes me want to pull out a project. I appreciate your descriptions. It's interesting to know how you are doing it as well. Great post.

Monica said...

I really hope that you do keep us posted on the progress of this quilt. I like the colors, and it seems to be such an interesting technique. I look forward to seeing it completed :o) although I hope you aren't going to have to be laid up too much longer.