Saturday, March 28, 2009

One Of My Favorite Objects

I have always thought that pitcher and basin sets were so romantic. I'm pretty far removed from the era when they were in use and don't necessarily know that much about their history. But, I love them for several reasons. They instantly remind me of the past and of another time when things were done so differently. A different pace and a different set of values. I also just love their elegant shape. A curvy pitcher thrills me. White is one of my favorite colors, especially for decorating, so this pitcher below is the ideal in my mind. It sits on my dresser in my room. It's an original that was used in an ancestor's home in the family of a friend of mine. The basin has been cracked and so no one in her family wanted it and it was offered to me. I have one other set that is not antique. It is off-white with a magnolia painted onto the front of it. It was a gift from my sister-in-law, Anna. It presides, modestly, in my dining room.

1 comment:

Jennie and Julie said...

What a pretty picture of it! The way it is mimicked in the mirror behind...it has twice the lovely curviness!