Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Flowers, flowers everywhere

Today I thought I would post some of the photos I took of the beautiful flowers and landscaping we enjoyed on our vacation. Being someone who enjoys gardening, I took a lot of notice of the shrubs and flowers and trees in the Yucatan. It was great to get a gardening vacation from the winter brown of my garden at home.
I certainly don't know the name of most of the plants represented here, but enjoyed their exotic beauty none-the-less.

The thick foliage seems to be a perfect backdrop for many of the blooms.

There were many coconut palms, and here the coconuts were green, but we saw them in various stages of ripening, and a few on the ground.

There were flowers adorning every building and structure it seemed...

Different plants were used for ground cover, and here is vinca just like at home except in MUCH larger proportions.
Another thing I particularly enjoyed was the coloring of the leaves....they were as beautiful and unusual as the flowers themselves.

Here is my favorite insurance man in front of a hedge of colorful bougainvillea...

This is some of the landscaping we enjoyed at our resort...made all the more incredible as you realize it is carved out of the jungle.

More fantastic leaf color...there were plantings all around of clusters of this plant. I wish I knew it's name...does anyone out there know?

When massed together the foliage and flowers were just incredible!

Close-up of one of the beautiful blooms...

Even the trees were surrounded by flowers...

and they also used 'moss rose' for ground cover there. Such pretty little blooms.
I hope these photos brought a touch of the sights and smells of the tropics!

2 comments:

Monica said...

Your flower pictures are gorgeous!!! I think having lots of flowers in bloom on a vacation just makes it that more wonderful.

Peter Jones said...

Awesome pictures! You might not think so, but the boys were TOTALLY interested in all of the plants, foliage and flowers there. Sam said he got such an "excited feeling inside!" I think it looks like heaven to them!
Julie