Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Oat Scones

I really have about two different types of things to contribute. It's usually cooking or baby things. I really do love to cook and it's one way for me to foster creative expression in something I "must" do (we do have to eat after all). So here's my contribution. I tried a winner of a new recipe this week. I have several recipes for scones and yet I try more, because one can't have too many recipes for scones. I really liked these, plus they are make-ahead (love those), plus they taste great a day or two after baked. I got this recipe out of the Christ Church of Moscow, Idaho cookbook, called Hot Providence. It used to be for sale on-line but is sadly out of print right now. I have really benefited from my copy.
OAT SCONES
2 cups oats
2 cups flour (I did this amount of home-ground, pastry wheat flour)
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (I did this quantity of organic, white, un-bleached flour)
3/4 cup sugar (Really good with a natural, granular sugar)
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup dried fruit of choice (I did raisins)
1 cup plus 2 Tbs. butter, cut into chunks (I did 1 cup at room temperature)
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 Tbs. heavy cream, for glaze
Stir dry ingredients together except the dried fruit. Cut in butter, mix in fruit. Add buttermilk; stir until moistened and binding. Roll the dough out and make into a rectangle. Place dough on saran-wrap and cut into triangles. Wrap with saran-wrap and foil. Freeze for 2 hours or up to 1 month. Place frozen scones on baking sheet and glaze with heavy cream. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
I made these on Saturday and baked them on Sunday morning while we were getting ready for church. That's why I love make-ahead recipes. A special breakfast that's fast on Saturday and virtually no prep on Sunday. A good find in my book.

1 comment:

Monica said...

I also have this cookbook, and we have used it quite often. These sound delicious, and I like the idea that they can be made ahead. Thanks for pointing them out.