Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle


I took two of my children to a free Library class today. On our way out we saw that there was a book sale going on and stopped to browse. I got a couple of good finds and a few others that I didn't necessarily need but they only cost 10 cents! One of the ones I didn't really need was this cute little copy of the classic Beatrix Potter story, "The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle." I have all of Beatrix Potter's stories already, but this is a very nice little hardback with a dust jacket that has a comfortable "old" look to it. I figure that I can put it in my daughter's room on display or give it to mum, who adores this little hedgehog.

When my 8-year-old, William, saw the book, he said, "I don't really like Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle." Our conversation continued like this,
Me: "Your Grammy sure does!"
Will: "I know. I know why she likes her."
Me: "...because she's a washer-woman?"
Will: A nod, then he runs to his room, coming back with a postcard in his hand. (My mom had sent a postcard to William once after she had been here to visit. She had stayed longer than my dad because the baby's birth she was here for was overdue.) Will read it aloud to me. She talked about her trip home and ended by saying, "Now I'm doing all of Papa's dirty laundry." Will looked up at me and said, "See. She's a washer-woman!"

1 comment:

Jennie and Julie said...

This sure made me laugh! I wouldn't have remembered a thing about that postcard. It's amazing what things kids keep and remember! Yes, I identify with Mrs. Tiggy Winkle as a washer woman, but mostly as an ironing woman : )