Friday, April 17, 2009

An old chair, well used and loved

This is a child's wooden rocking chair that we have inherited. I showed a photo of our granddaughter Macy in it last week. When we visited Burns we visited with our Aunt Wilma, the original owner of this chair. She and my mother-in-law were eager for me to post a few photos of the chair and it's history.
On the bottom of the rocker we have taped the information about its origins to preserve the story. It was made for Aunt Wilma by her grandfather, Joe Williams of Ontario, Oregon. The paper says 1919, but it must have been closer to 1917 because of the photo below this .
Here is Wilma in her wonderful new chair with a dolly. Since she was born in 1916, I would say that she had her chair by the following year as a toddler.

Here are Wilma's two sisters Bethel (my mother-in-law) and Elna in about 1937. They are a bit too big for the rocker, but it works really well for their two dolls. They entertained themselves on their farm in Ontario.
Here are the three sisters, almost grown up...Wilma-top, Bethel-right, and Elna-left, along with the rocker. They are entertaining their cousin Edith's son Gene in 1940. The rocker is just right for either toddlers or baby dolls. It really is big enough for larger kids too, and so heavy and sturdy that I could sit in it...if I could fit in it! Interesting that all the photos of it in Ontario are out of doors.
This is my oldest grandson Samuel. He is enjoying the rocker on a visit to my house, and I'm enjoying photographing him. This was in 2002 or 2003. After Aunt Wilma had to give up living on her own, we inherited her precious rocking chair. There is also a table that was made for her, and Aunt Elna has that to pass down in her family. Since we brought the rocker home, all my grandchildren have enjoyed it. When Julie has brought a little one home, she sometimes uses it to feed them in...and it works great. The only casualty has been when Calvin got turned around in it and got his legs stuck through the slats. We soon had him rescued though.
And this is another shot of Macy covering herself up and watching Veggie Tales in the rocker. What a precious heritage. It's so sturdy it will go on for several succeeding generations I'm sure...

1 comment:

Lora said...

Wow! I enjoyed this post and reading about the chair and seeing the old pictures! Steve and I inherited a rocking chair very similar to this one. It was his grandfather's as a boy and is still in pretty good shape! So neat. :)