Wednesday, April 1, 2009

God's Encouragement

For three plus years now we have belonged to a health sharing ministry called Samaritan Ministries. Julie and her family of 8 are also members. There are many great reasons to be involved with this ministry instead of traditional health insurance, but I have just experienced one of them. For three years each month, we have sent a check to another believing family along with a card of encouragement and prayed for them. This has been a blessing in and of itself, but this last month we have been on the receiving end of this blessing. Many days it was hard to stay focused and encouraged (shall I say up out of the dumps?) even though reading in my Bible and praying. Staying down, sometimes sitting all day with my leg up, and sometimes laying flat on my back for 48 hours was just plain hard. As the cards began to pour into the mailbox in March, I began to see God's hand working in and through them and the people who took the time to send a note. These personal notes of encouragement from people I had never met, seemed truly to be a ray of sunshine sent from God's heart to mine. I know perfectly well that God does not need to use any physical means for encouragement, but in this case He did. What a special program Samaritan Ministries is.
I narrowly escaped some serious consequences of a blood clot going awry (into my lung...instead of heart or brain) and I know that having so many praying was surely a grand and glorious thing. It brought the glory to God for protection and we are praising and thanking Him. Some days are still rather bleak, but always God is faithful. Today one of my daughters and her family are coming for a visit of 5 days to help us celebrate my insurance man's birthday. Happy Birthday honey! We will be having a great visit and I will be posting photos, but again I can't wait for some commotion around here and the liveliness that kids bring. I am also thankful for 2 other very faithful daughters who have called virtually daily to help me as they can, and Julie's children never fail to bring a smile to my lips or a tear to my eye. The details of our lives each day become very precious when we are taken out of the game for while. Today I am extra grateful for the cards and words God sent in March.

3 comments:

Peter Jones said...

I really appreciated what you shared. It's good to just hear from you how you're feeling and what's going on in your life. Thanks for doing that post. I thought it was very good.
You mean so much to me!!
Julie

Lora said...

I hope you are feeling better soon Jennie! I will keep you in my prayers!! Thanks for sharing.

Monica said...

I will be praying for you. I'm so happy that God saw fit to bring you all of the nice cards to cheer you up.