Saturday, August 28, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Granola

I have several recipes for granola. They're very different from each other. One is very decadent, that comes out in great clumps and is great for eating alone as a snack. I have a couple of other ones that I use to make a more generic granola that can be sprinkled on yogurt and other things. I just tried a new one that I expected to be very similar to one of these. To my surprise, it was different. And we loved it. So here it is:

Granola:
8 cups regular rolled oats
1 1/2 cups ground flax seed (flaxmeal)
1 1/2 cups oat bran
1 cup slivered or sliced almonds
1 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup honey
1 cup canola oil
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Combine oats, flax seed, oat bran, almonds, and pecans.
Stir together salt, brown sugar, syrup, honey, oil, cinnamon, and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then pour over the dry ingredients and stir to coat. Spread mixture on two baking sheets. Bake until browned and toasty, about 20-25 minutes. Stir the mixture once halfway through cooking.

We served this over vanilla yogurt with some strawberries sliced on the top yesterday for breakfast.

What I liked about this recipe: It was simpler to put together than any of my other recipes. It's more like the granola you would buy as cereal because it's nice and crunchy. Great flavor. For a little variety in morning menu, this is a keeper.

No comments: