Friday, May 1, 2009

Happy May Day

I have always enjoyed the idea of May Day, and flower baskets. This photo is one I found on the Internet and I think it might be my perfect idea of a May Day basket, as I love roses. We are sadly short of flowers or blooms around here this May Day. I have a May tree that usually blooms on the first of May, but this year it's probably at least two weeks away. I did go scouting in my yard for blooms this morning, and the following pictures were the best I came up with.
This is a picture of my quince bush...usually an early bloomer. But as you can see the buds are still struggling to come out. It will be glorious soon however.

And my tulips...close, but not quite there. I planted a whole new bed of bulbs last fall, and am eagerly waiting. I will share a photo when they finally are at their peak. My daughter Joy who lives in Woodland, Washington...flower capital of the world, called to tell me how glorious the flowers are this morning. The pink dogwood, later than usual camellias, rhododendrons, azaleas, tulips, wisteria...you name it and they have it. I am feeling a strong urge to visit. She said that I could enjoy them by 'proxy' through her...thanks Joy! And a happy flower-filled May Day to all!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jennie,
I am so very desperate for color and flowers. Here I sit with a newly done yard and my plant LIST. Yikes, yikes, yikes. Maybe we can visit the nursery together when spring or summer arrives. Happy May Day.
Kathy

Jennie and Julie said...

Kathy, there's no place I'd rather be than in a nursery! (if not at Julie's...) so yes! let's go...but probably not for a few weeks yet.
Jennie

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennie, I could almost smell the flowers as presented in your blog today. It is a beautifull time of year, and I hate to see the early blooms and flowering trees fade away so soon.

Love, Elna

Monica said...

Your flowers will be blooming in no time. They appear to be very close. I look forward to seeing more of your flowers throughout the season. Happy May Day to you.