Thursday, November 20, 2008

A lovely inheritance of crocheted linens...


There is something wonderful to me about the love and effort that went into hand crocheting lovely items to beautify a home. My husband and I are so fortunate to come from women that valued beauty and created many lovely things. The above magazine cost 10 cents in 1923. This was typically the way women would find new patterns to try out. This particular copy was addressed to a great grandma of ours in October of 1923, and I have several from that year.
Below is a crocheted tablecloth, and I can only guess at how many hours went into making it. I have many crocheted items displayed and in use in my home, and all were inherited from the various lines of our families.The intricate patterns are so beautiful and creative.

My insurance man took this inherited dresser and refinished it. I asked him to please leave off the mirror and add a piece of dowling so I could display some of my pieces...

and daily enjoy the beauty and workmanship.


I have a stack of doilies in white and ecru that make me feel positively rich,

and the variety and creativity in the sizes and patterns are inspiring. I have noticed that in antique malls and 2nd hand shops crocheted pieces go for next to nothing. That's great for those who love them, but it is a sign that we have forgotten what 'hand-made' means.


One other category I especially love is my antimacassars. The definition is: A piece of ornamented cloth that protects the back of a chair from hair oils. Isn't it great that so much time, thought and effort went into an ornamented cloth designed to protect the back of chairs and sofa's?
A rose patterned antimacassar...doesn't the pattern show up beautifully on dark upholstery?
"O Lord God, without the pardon of my sin I cannot rest satisfied,
without the renovation of my nature by grace I can never rest easy,
without the hopes of heaven I can never be at peace.
All this I have in thy son Jesus; blessed be his name."









No comments: