Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Thanksgiving Thoughts

It seems that November always goes by too quickly, and I don't have enough time to reflect on the giving of thanks, having a thankful heart, or the kernel of thanksgiving enough. I'm glad that we do have a holiday and a month of days devoted to this, and I'm trying to think about it more deeply this season, and find scripture references and good quotes to reflect on. The framed embroidery above states the end of fall feeling often portrayed in our homes and on Thanksgiving day itself. This passage came to my attention:
Exodus 34:21-22
"You shall work six days, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during plowing time and harvest you shall rest. And you shall celebrate the Feast of Weeks, that is, the first fruits of the harvest, and the Feast of Ingathering at the turn of the year."
As I work toward the Feast of Ingathering this year on Nov. 27th I want to always be reflecting on thankfulness, culminating in a rich, rewarding gathering together.

This is the quote I am thankful for today...and meditating on:

"O Lord, I am astonished at the difference between my receivings and my deservings, betweeen the state I am now in and my past gracelessness, between the heaven I am bound for and the the hell I merit. Who made me to differ, but thee?" The Valley of Vision