Friday, November 14, 2008

Twice-baked sweet potatoes

A couple of nights ago I tried out a new recipe for twice-baked sweet potatoes because I thought I might like to make it for Thanksgiving, but wanted to test it out first. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to do it for Thanksgiving but they were definitely a hit with my kids. I suppose it had partly to do with the fact that I served them with beef stroganoff, which is not their favorite meal to see on the table. In comparison, they were really impressed with the sweet potatoes! It was what my 5 year old son said that made me decide to blog about it. Ben used many rapturous statements to express his love for this new food. The one I liked best was something like this, " Mom, when I get big and I'm going to leave the house, right before I leave to go out to live on my own, could you please write down this recipe for me?" Cute, huh? My mom suggested that I keep a computer file where I can easily record cute things that my kids say so that I won't forget. I think I might start that and put this in there. Maybe one day I'll actually remember to give this recipe to Ben before he leaves the house!
Twice-baked Sweet Potatoes

4 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), scrubbed and halved lengthwise
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup milk, or as needed
4 Tbs. butter (1/2 stick)
1/4 tsp. salt
freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup miniature marshmallows for garnish
Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 4o0 degrees.
Place potatoes cut side down on a foil or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly. Holding potato half with a pot holder, scoop potato flesh into a blender or food processor, leaving a 1/4 inch shell. Repeat with remaining potatoes; set shells aside. With motor running, gradually add both milks to potatoes. Add butter, then process, adding a little more milk if necessary, until potatoes are silky smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon puree back into potato shells. Sprinkle marshmallows over potatoes. Place on baking sheet and bake until potatoes are hot and marshmallows are golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Serve hot.

No comments: