Friday, November 14, 2008

Roasting Veggies

After seeing cooks on several blogs mention roasting vegetables, and then a how-to article this week in our newspaper...I decided to try it out. I first made a trip out to our garden where we still have beets and parsnips in the ground (a major feat in this mountain climate) I scrubbed and cut up the parsnips into similar sized pieces....and peeled an onion to add to them.I then scrubbed the beets, and similarly cut them up. I put them in the pan with the parsnips before the cutting up just to enjoy their beauty together.
After cutting them up I separated them, as my insurance man is not a beet lover. I put the onions and parsnips together, and the beets separately....drizzled olive oil over them and generously seasoned with salt and pepper.

I cooked them at 500 degrees for about 40 minutes for the parsnips and close to an hour for the beets. The directions said to use a low sided pan, preferably stainless steel, but since I didn't have that I used a small roaster and an old corning ware dish.


We ate the parsnips and onions that night, and they were delicious. The parsnips had a wonderful texture and flavor, and we love roasted onions. A real benefit is that the parsnip skins were soft and we lost none of their nutrition.



The beets are stowed in the refrigerator for me to enjoy over the week-end. Their skins are crispy and I may decide to rub them off...we'll see. It was an enjoyable time in the kitchen.
Psalm 107:1
"O give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; for His steadfast love endures forever."





1 comment:

Peter Jones said...

How nice that they were even from your own garden. Looks good!
Julie