Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Music of Christmas

I love the music of Christmas...it makes me worship every day in a different way than the rest of the year. There are so many ways to enjoy the music. Caroling, or singing carols in a group of people...playing a Christmas hymn or carol on an instrument. For me that is playing songs on the piano...and every year I pick out 2 or 3 different piano arrangements to practice and enjoy. This year it is: I Saw Three Ships arranged with Haydn's Allegro in F Major and Hark, the Herald Angels Sing arranged with Handel's Largo. Both are beautiful and I am greatly enriched by the playing and hearing of these. I always enjoy playing and singing our old favorite sheet music titles with the family too.











We always enjoy the music of Christmas to listen to: on the radio, in stores, on the CD or tape player, or at Church. I especially love the vintage recordings to listen to.
This year my insurance man, our daughter JoAnn and I have been practising and singing in our Church choir. I have not sung in choir for many years, and this has brought a special joy to the season. I have always loved choir music, either to play or to sing...and this year is no exception. We are doing a selection of 5 individual songs...and my favorite is 'Immanuel' by Paula Stefanovich. Some of the words are: "Immanuel...Immanuel, sons come worship and daughters sing. Immanuel...Immanuel, a virgin bears a King." Our daughter JoAnn has a beautiful voice and it is a rare privilege to stand next to her while we practise and sing.
Yes, the music of Christmas is the music of the Christian Church worshipping their Savior's birth....enjoy!

No comments: