Friday, January 16, 2009

Blessings of Neighbors

I love the street we live on. It's a cul-de-sac, and most of us have lived here a long while. A wonderful older couple, Jim & Jackie, lived across the street and one day Jackie brought me this metronome. Someone in her family had left it to her, and she neither had a piano or played an instrument. She knew that I was teaching piano to a neighbor boy Gabe and thought maybe I could use it. We both (Gabe and I) were exited to try it out, and had lots of fun and instruction with it. It was just one of the many thoughtful things she did, and I borrowed history books to read about the Civil War from Jim. They had to sell their house about two years ago due to declining health,
but I still miss them. The metronome is a wonderful way for me to remember our friendship.
In our neighborhood we have an occasional open house at Christmas time or sometimes a barbeque in the summer. We are all ready to help out a neighbor or attend a wedding or graduation celebration. It is a wonderful neighborhood for kids to grow up in or for taking long walks. I have been blessed to live here.

No comments: