Saturday, January 31, 2009

Vintage Canning Jars

I just love old canning jars. They have pretty patterns in the glass and wonderful shapes. Some of the jars I have are glass containers from various products of the past. They were products that were shown to their best advantage in clear glass...for instance honey. Many of the jars I like best I got from my insurance mans' grandmother, Addie Asmussen. She kept most everything, and I'm especially glad she re-used her glass containers for canning produce. I love refilling these jars with my own produce and admiring their different shapes. They are truly beautiful empty and filled. They also make great containers for fresh flowers.
Last fall my mother-in-law gave us a dozen quarts of apricots, canned from fresh picked ones from their tree. Among the jars was the one on the right. We not only enjoyed her labor, generosity, and lovely fruit but the jar as well. I have it sitting on my kitchen window ledge to catch the light.
Beauty in the small things....

1 comment:

Peter Jones said...

Nice. I don't know why they don't make them like that anymore. They are so unique and interesting...and lovely. Very nice.
Julie